According to tradition, the land of Tredion was once owned by the youngest sons of the Maison de Bretagne; At that time the castle was a hunter’s meeting place for the Breton dukes when they stayed at Elven. The construction probably dates back to the 14th century. There is a deed dated 1427 in which the existence of the Manor is mentioned.
Until the beginning of the 17th century, Tredion was part of Largoët which meant that the Lord who owned one of the fiefs also owned the other.
According to Hervé of Halgouet, a descendant of Alan the Great inherited Largoët which, in the 12th century was acquired by the Malestroit family.
The Malestroits owned Tredion until the middle of the 15th century.
In 1461, Françoise Raguenel, Lady of Malestroit, married Jean IV, Lord of Rieux and Rochefort, Marshal of Brittany. This Lord died shortly after the restoration of Tredion manor on the side of the building upon which he had had his coat of arms sculpted.
Claude I de Rieux, son of Jean IV and of Isabeau de Brosse, his third wife, inherited Largoët and Tredion in 1518. After his death in 1532, Suzanne de Bourbon managed his estate. Tredion was bequeathed to Renée of Rieux who married Louis de Saint-Maure, marquess of Nesle in 1541.
Renée de Rieux died in December 1567 leaving no children. Her property, including Tredion, was inherited by her nephew Guy-Paul de Coligny (1555-1586).
In 1584, two years before his death, Guy-Paul de Coligny sold Largoët and Tredion to the Princess of Salm, his mother-in-law.
Anne de Coligny, daughter of the Princess of Salm, then inherited Largoët and Tredion which she sold on 7 July 1613 to Jean de Rieux-Assérac. After his death, in 1630, Jean-Emmanuel de Rieux-Asserac, governor of Guérande, inherited Tredion, but he was soon deep in debt and had to resign himself to the sale of his property in 1643.
In 1650, as a reward for his services, Pierre II de Sérent obtained Letter Patents for the collection of his lands and the creation of a Viscountcy. But at the same time, Nicolas Fouquet (1615-1680), Superintendent of Louis XIV’s finances, purchased Largoët as he did not want to see it separated from Tredion. Fouquet tried in vain to recover Pierre de Sérent’s property.
It seems that Charles II of Lorraine, Duke of Elbeuf and Peer of France (1596-1657) was then the owner of Tredion. His wife, Catherine-Henriette, was the legitimate child of the King of France Henri IV and Gabrielle d’Estrées.
In fact, between 1650 and 1675, there is some doubt as to the name of the owner of the Lord’s residence.
There is, however, one certainty: in 1676, the heirs of Charles II de Lorraine had to sell “castle land, in the lordship of Tredion”. The purchasers were Louis Alvarez, treasurer of the his majesty’s Cents-Suisses and Martin Moisan, a burgher from Paris who, on 8 November 1683, by selling two-thirds to Marguerite Sapien, wife with separate property of Charles Fouquet de la Ferronnière (cousin of Nicolas Fouquet, Louis XIV’s intendant, who had amassed an enormous fortune during his life thanks to his employment positions, was at the origin of the treasure buried by Charles Fouquet, one of his relations, under an oak tree in the Castle gardens).
Charles Fouquet died at Tredion Castle, where he was interred in the chapel on 6 September 1704. His daughter, who inherited Tredion, also died at the Castle on 18 May 1740.
Guy-Joseph-Joachim de Lantivy, son of Sylvie Fouquet who had married Yacinthe de Lantivy on 25 January 1709 then inherited Tredion. He died on 13 January 1751 and was interred the next day “in the sepulchre of his ancestors, in the chapel of Tredion Castle”.
His son Jean-Louis de Lantivy became the owner of the castle but when the revolution took place, the custodian of Tredion preferred to make his escape.
After the upheaval of the revolution, the Castle was sold to citizen Guillenet. 6 November 1825, Guillenet sold the property to Pierre-Marie Tuffier, who in turn sold it on 21 July 1834 to Hippolyte du Fresne of Virel, who installed a furnace in Tredion, in 1840, to mould cast iron objects.
Shortly after the death of his father, Henri-François-Eustache du Fresne of Virel decided to restore the Castle of Tredion in 1851-1852. This work, which was more in the way of a reconstruction, was entrusted to Jacques Mellet, an architect from Rennes. It was completed in 1859 and cost around 300,000 francs. Mellet only retained the openings from the XIV century building (the East part). This “dwelling” which was just the main building of a hotel without any military equipment was radically transformed by the addition of a perpendicular wing, on the North side. The capacity of Tredion Castle was increased from 9 to 34 rooms. The “castellation” of the castle was brought about by the construction of corner towers, which allowed it to change its status from that of manor house to castle in the architectural field.
Twenty-five years later, in 1844, Henri du Fresne of Virel decided to embark upon a second set of works. He entrusted this project to the Parisian architect Ch. Lorotte who then added “a second living area on the West end of the new wing” and “a large conservatory, with cast iron columns, which doubles the distribution of the lounges on the South side”. While Mellet took pains to ensure the elegance of the outside, Lorotte focused his efforts on the beauty of the interior.
Henri du Fresne, Count of Virel, died on 27 January 1892. He left 2 sons: Alban-Victor, heir of Tredion, and Olivier (born in 1841).
Alban de Fresne, Count of Virel, was the owner of the noble land of Tredion, Grégo (in Surzur) and Vaudequip (near Allaire) in Morbihan, of Virel (in Renac) in Ille-et-Vilaine, Plessis in Saint-Aubin-des-châteaux near Chateaubriand in Lower Loire and Percey in Yonne.
His son, Arthur-Conrad-Guillaume du fresne of Virel, born on 14 January 1878, inherited Tredion. He died on 28 October 1915 at the age of 37. His son Antoine-André-Alban du Fresne of Virel, born in Paris on 6 February 1906 inherited the Castle. He had one daughter, Antoinette. He died on 29 January 1940.
Antoinette du Fresne of Virel, heiress of Tredion married Viscount Jacques de Rougé.
A sales agreement was signed in favour of a property promoter from Vannes, Guy Turpin, on 22 October 1977 and the final deed was signed on 30 September 1978. Tredion entered a new era…